Certification Exam Only
- NCCA accredited PFT Exam - only 4-year accredited credential in the fitness industry (Price includes one attempt)
- Exam details:
- Exam candidates must complete the 125 question, multiple choice, facilitated proctored exam within 90 days of receiving exam eligibility ID.
- Exam candidates must take the NESTA proctored exam at a PSI testing center.
- Exam candidates must be 18 years of age or older.
- Exam candidates must have high school diploma or equivalent.
- Exam candidates must provide a valid Driver’s License or valid Passport at the time of testing.
- Exam candidates must have an Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) Certification card or BLS (Basic Life Support) card in place of CPR card. Must show at the time of testing.
- Select single pay option $349:
No study materials are included with this option.
The exam will include the following subject domains:
NESTA Personal Fitness Trainer Certification Details
Requirements for you to become an Accredited NESTA Personal Fitness Trainer:
– Must have paid in full prior to examination date
– Must be at least 18 years of age
– Must have a valid Driver’s License
– Must have a minimum high school level or equivalent education
– Must have current Emergency Cardiac Care (CPR) Certification card/certificate or BLS (Basic Life Support) card/certificate in place of CPR card
– Must to maintain the confidentiality of the exam content and abide by exam policies as stated in the candidate handbook
– Must agree to adher to the NESTA Code of Ethics
– Exam candidate may be subject to an audit to verify proof of documentation requirements (show proof of valid CPR card/certification, Driver’s License or Passport, High School Diploma or equivalent)
– Must complete the 125 question, multiple choice, facilitated proctored exam within 90 days of receiving exam eligibility ID
– PFT exam candidates must take the NESTA proctored exam at a PSI testing center
Personal Fitness Trainer Exam Details
- 125 question, 2-hour proctored multiple choice computer web based exam
- The exam candidate must take the Personal Fitness Trainer proctored exam within 90 days upon requesting their exam eligibility ID.
- One exam attempt per purchase.
- Exam results are shown immediately upon completing the exam. All passing exams, receive a temporary certificate at the time of completion.
- Students who did not meet the exam passing requirements can purchase a $199 retest 30 days from the date of the exam by visiting Exam Retest, Extensions and Administrative Fee page , or by calling our offices at 877-348-6692.
NESTA Personal Fitness Trainer exam candidates will take the exam at a PSI testing center in their local area. PSI is the proctored exam provider with one of hundreds of testing sites nationally throughout Canada and all 50 states in the U.S. including, Washington DC, Guam, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
- Click here to locate a PSI testing facility in your area.
- For more information about NESTA’s PFT exam locations, requirements, scheduling, and procedures, please visit PFT Exam Requirements page.
Off-Site Proctoring Exam Option for International Candidates and Scheduling Hardship
International and scheduling hardship exam candidates will be required to use “Off-Site Proctoring Exam Option” and will not be eligible to test at a PSI facility. Please visit Off-Site Proctoring Exam Option page for detailed information and instructions. Approval from NESTA is required prior to testing.
Individuals with Disabilities and Special Accommodation Needs
Individuals having a disability requiring special accommodations must fill out the “Request for Special Accommodations” form. Requests are decided upon an individual basis. Accommodations usually include an allowance for increased examination time. Accommodation requests will be acknowledged through email and/or phone notification within 7-10 business days of initial request.
For individuals who require a reader, separate accommodations or other requirements please state your needs and requirements in detail on the Request for Special Accommodations Form. Requests will be considered and a response will be delivered within 10 business days. Not all PSI facilities are equipped to provide special accommodations requests.
Additional policy and procedural information regarding individuals with disabilities or in need of special accommodations for exams.
Proctored Exam Fees and Extensions
Students who did not meet the exam passing requirements can purchase a $199 retest 30 days from the date of the exam by visiting Exam Retest, Extensions and Administrative Fee page , or by calling our offices at 866-348-6692.
- Exam candidate can request and pay for a 90 day extension before the assigned exam expiration date. Please refer to the NESTA Policies page and click on the “Fees” tab at the top of the page.
- Extension requests to due medical issues must be provided in writing and a signed physician’s note must be provided. The request will then be reviewed by the NESTA Executive Board. Candidate will be notified by email of the decision. Please refer to the Personal Fitness Trainer Exam Candidate Handbook for details.
Recertification and Continuing Education Process
The NESTA ECB requires its certified personal fitness trainer (PFT) to complete 4.0 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) over a four year period. Each 0.1 CEU is worth one hour of study time or one contact hour in a live training format.
For details on the recertification requirements and process, please click here.